There are strict qualification requirements to be eligible for Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits. If you are disabled, you need to be aware of what is required to get monthly income from the Social Security Administration (SSA). In particular, there are five key factors that can be determinative in whether you are able to receive benefits. A Los Angeles Social Security disability lawyer can help you to determine if you can meet the requirements.
Five Factors to Determine if You Are Eligible for Social Security Disability Benefits
Key factors that impact whether you can receive benefits include:
- Whether you are engaged in substantial gainful activity: If you are earning too much money each month, you are considered to be engaged in substantial gainful activity and cannot get benefits.
- Whether you have a long-term disabling condition: Your condition has to have lasted a year or more, or be expected to last at least a year, unless it is a terminal illness.
- Whether your long-term disabling condition is listed in the “Blue Book” or is medically equivalent in severity to listed conditions. The SSA has a list of qualifying condition which is commonly called the Blue Book. The listed conditions may entitle you to benefits.
- Whether you have the required symptoms of your condition. Each condition listed in the Blue Book has associated symptoms you must experience if you are going to be eligible for benefits on the basis of that condition.
- Whether you can do the job you did before, or any job you’re qualified for, despite your condition. Your condition must prevent you from working and earning a living in order for you to be able to receive benefits.
A Los Angeles Social Security Disability benefits lawyer can help you to provide proof that you meet qualification requirements and should be entitled to disability income.