Qualifying for Social Security Disability Benefits in Santa Barbara
Are you a Santa Barbara resident who is unable to work because of a disability? If so, you might qualify for SSDI or SSI benefits. SSDI and SSI benefits are two unique programs offered by the Social Security Administration (SSA). Santa Barbara residents must demonstrate that they meet the following requirements to qualify for monthly SSDI benefits:
- They have been diagnosed with a permanent disability
- The disability prevents the person from working a previous job, or a similar job
- The applicant must have the required number of work credits for their age range
- Generally, the applicant must be earning at least $780 per month
SSI benefits are provided for low-income people who are disabled and who do not qualify for SSDI benefits. Santa Barbara residents over the age of 65 with low incomes and those under age 65 with qualifying disabilities and income levels are eligible for SSI benefits. In California, SSI recipients can receive additional benefits through the State Supplemental Program.
At Disability Advocates Group, our skilled legal team can evaluate your unique situation. We will advise you as to whether or not you qualify for SSDI or SSI benefits based on your medical condition, income, and work credits. After we determine the right course of action, we will handle your application and potential appeal for you. Our clients can rest easy knowing that our experienced lawyers are handling their claims from start to finish.
Applying for Social Security Disability benefits in Santa Barbara
Like in other cities, the process of applying for SSI and SSDI benefits in Santa Barbara involves completing an application. Most applicants are not immediately approved for benefits but, rather, need to request a hearing before an administrative law judge (ALJ). In Santa Barbara, the average wait time for a hearing is approximately 12 months. Hearings are carried out at the Santa Barbara Office of Hearing Operations (OHO):
222 East Carrillo Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
Telephone: (866) 273-4953
Fax: (805) 564-3404
eFile Fax: (877) 394-9242
Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m
Santa Barbara SSDI Hearings
At the hearing, applicants have the opportunity to present their case for receiving disability benefits. A critical ingredient to a successful hearing is having the correct medical records that clearly demonstrate your disability and the underlying medical condition causing it. Understanding the importance of medical records, the team at Disability Advocates Group obtains all medical records on behalf of our clients at no cost.
In Santa Barbara, only 40% of applicants are granted disability benefits through their hearing. The remaining 60% need to file an appeal and continue the process. The appeal process may take as long as 2-3 years until benefits are eventually granted. This is why having excellent legal representation is so important to a successful SSI or SSDI application process. Disability Advocates Group works with our clients from the initial application through hearing and beyond to ensure them the best chance to receive much-needed disability benefits in the shortest timespan possible.
The Benefits of Hiring a Santa Barbara SSDI/SSI Lawyer
When you’re applying for SSDI benefits, it is important that you submit a thorough and complete application. At Disability Advocates Group, we will help you gather as much medical evidence of your disability as possible from your doctor. We will emphasize how your diagnosis impairs your daily functional capacity. When you submit a thorough medical record when you apply for disability benefits, you will likely shorten the time it takes for the SSA to evaluate your claim.
Contact Our Santa
Barbara SSDI and SSI Team Today
We have helped thousands of clients successfully receive SSDI and SSI benefits in Santa Barbara. When you hire Disability Advocates Group, you will not go through the process alone. Instead, our team will take charge and help you submit a complete and accurate application. We will also advocate for you throughout the appeals process, when necessary. Contact our Santa Barbara SSDI and SSI law firm today to schedule your free initial consultation and learn how we can help you.