When you are in need of accessing Social Security Disability benefits, you may feel that the pressure is on! The financial pressure you can feel may be intense and the stress of going up against the disability benefits application process can leave you reeling. A good starting point may be to review the Social Security Disability Starter Kit. We’ll talk more about what this kit actually includes here.
What is the Social Security Disability Starter Kit?
On the Social Security Administration (SSA) website is the Social Security Disability Starter Kit. Alternatively, after you first contact the SSA about a Social Security disability benefits application, they will send you a Disability Starter Kit. The intent of the Disability Starter Kit is to aid you in preparation for your disability interview or the completion of your online disability benefits application.
There are two types of Disability Starter Kits. There is one for adult benefit applicants and one for children under the age of 18 that are seeking disability benefits. The kits contain information pertaining to the specific documentation and information the SSA will be requesting during the disability benefits application process. Furthermore, the kits set forth more general information about SSA disability programs and the process the Administration goes through to render a decision on a disability benefits application. More specifically, the kits contain:
- A Fact sheet answering frequently asked questions about the disability benefits application process
- A checklist setting forth the required documents and information that will be requested by the SSA
- A worksheet intended to help you gather as well as organize the information you will need to complete your application
While the general contents of the Disability Starter Kits remain constant, there are some differences between the Adult Disability Starter Kit and the Child Disability Starter Kit. The Adult Disability Starter Kit, for instance, contains:
- A fact sheet that defines disability and answers frequently asked questions as well as providing a link to the online application
- A checklist for those applying in person or by telephone for an adult disability interview or a checklist for those utilizing the online adult disability application
- A medical and job worksheet to help prepare for the disability interview by listing information that the SSA will ask during the disability interview
The Child Disability Starter Kit for children under the age of 18, on the other hand, will include:
- A fact sheet entitled “What You Should Know Before You Apply for SSI Disability Benefits for Your Child” that includes frequently asked questions about the disability benefits application process as well as a definition of disability for children under the age of 18, information about the SSI program, and a link to the online Child Disability Report
- A checklist for the child disability information which lists all of the information and documentation regarding your child that you will need for the disability interview or in order to complete the Child Disability Report online
- A medical and school worksheet that can assist in preparation for the disability interview or to complete the Child Disability Report online
Los Angeles Disability Attorney
While the Disability Starter Kit may provide some useful, basic information about the application process, it can still feel confusing and overwhelming. To successfully navigate the process, Disability Advocates is here to help. Contact us today.